Lavender is a versatile and easy herb to grow. Long used in herbal medicine for insomnia, headaches, and more, lavender uses extend to craft projects and cooking. Grow lavender in the garden, and you’ll never run out of things to do with it.
How to Use Lavender in Beauty and Health Products
The delicious aroma of lavender should leave you feeling relaxed and soothed. It’s a perfect herb to use in face masks, teas, and body scrubs. Here are some easy ideas:
- Lavender tea. An infusion of lavender flowers is a great way to unwind at the end of the day. Add one heaping teaspoon of dried flowers to a cup of boiling water and infuse for at least five minutes.
- Lavender heating pad. Soothe your mind and sore muscles by adding lavender flowers to dry rice in a clean sock. Heat it in the microwave to warm your muscles and release the aroma.
- Lavender scrub. Mix lavender flowers with coconut oil and sugar to make a scented scrub. For a more intense aroma, use lavender essential oil.
- Lavender bath salts. If you love a good soak, add lavender buds to a one-to-one mix of sea salt and Epsom salts. As with the scrub, use essential oil to increase the intensity.
Making Lavender Crafts
The beauty and aroma of lavender isn’t just for sugar scrubs and face masks. Dried lavender uses extend to gorgeous crafts that also scent your home. For example, know how to make a lavender wreath, and you have a pretty decoration that also smells great:
- Start with fresh lavender that will dry as a wreath. Harvest stems with flowers just before the buds begin to open in full.
- Create small bundles of lavender stems, tying them together with florist wire or string.
- Use a metal wreath form and florist wire to securely attach the bundles in a wring shape.
- Overlap each bundle with the next to cover up the wire and stems.
- Add a wire loop to one side of the wreath to hang, or lay the wreath flat to act as a table centerpiece.
A wreath is a good beginner project. If you’re a skilled crafter, try weaving a lavender wand, which makes a long-lasting scented decoration. Add lavender to potpourri mixes or include in sachets to scent your clothes or bed. Lavender is such a versatile herb. Get creative and add it to any of your floral crafts.