To learn more about our editorial integrity policy and how we make money through affiliate partnerships, read our full disclosure here.
As a homeowner, you want your lawn to stay healthy, lush, and green year-round. For most property owners, keeping their lawn looking great means hiring a lawn care company to take care of the heavy-lifting on their behalf.
If you’re considering hiring a local lawn company to take care of your greenery, you should consider Lawn Doctor. A large-scale company offering everything from soil testing to pest control, Lawn Doctor is a highly rated lawn service provider. But is it the right lawn care company for you?
Today, we’ll take a look at Lawn Doctor, its services, and what you might expect to pay. We’ll also introduce you to our preferred lawn care service provider, TruGreen, and show you how you can claim your free quote online or by calling 877-386-6512.
Lawn Doctor Plans
Lawn Doctor specializes in customized local lawn care plans that fit the specific needs of your lawn health. Here’s what you can expect on your first visit from a Lawn Doctor team member.
- Lawn analysis — A lawn care expert will perform a thorough analysis of your lawn. This allows them to tell which services and treatments you need — and to make sure you aren’t over-paying for services you don’t.
- Lawn treatment — Your lawn care expert will use the results of their analysis to recommend a treatment plan custom-fitted to your lawn’s health and your local climate. You’ll receive a full outline including all of the services they recommend.
- Lawn servicing — Your lawn technician will return every six to eight weeks to keep your lawn looking fresh.
Your plan can include any of the following services and treatments:
- Fertilization — Fertilization enriches your soil with nutrients it needs to grow throughout the year. This can help you avoid brown patches on your lawn.
- Power seeding — Power seeding sows seeds directly into your lawn without harming your existing grass. This process increases germination rates and improves grass growth.
- Mosquito and tick control — Mosquitoes and ticks can lay eggs in your yard and bite children and pets. Lawn Doctor offers Yard Armor Mosquito and Tick Control services to eliminate breeding sites.
- Core aeration — Core aeration services break up impacted soil without damaging your lawn, allowing oxygen to flow more effectively.
- Weed control — Weeds can steal nutrients from your soil that your grass needs to grow. Weed control uses chemicals to kill weeds and stop them from taking nutrients away from your grass.
- Grub control — Grubs are beetle larvae that feed on grass roots. Allowing grubs to take over your lawn can kill your grass seeds. Grub control services use incesticide solutions to kill grubs before they can eat your lawn.
- pH balancing — Your soil’s pH plays a direct role in your grass’s ability to grow. pH balancing services adjust the acidity of your soil to maximize grass root growth.
- Tree and shrub maintenance — Tree and shrub maintenance involves pruning overgrowth and keeping these features looking tidy. It may also involve removing dead or dangerous branches from your trees.
- Lawn pest control — Lawn Doctor doesn’t only handle mosquito, tick, and grub removal. They also offer insecticide services for other common lawn pests like sod webworms, armyworms, and fire ants.
Lawn Doctor also offers specialized event sprays and seasonal pest control packages.
Lawn Doctor Cost
Lawn Doctor doesn’t offer plan quotes or pricing information on their website at this time. This can make it difficult to gauge its prices without getting a quote for service. However, you can easily request a free quote on the website by filling out a contact request form or by calling 1-800-845-0580.
Why doesn’t every lawn care company list their costs on their website? The specific amount you’ll pay for lawn care can vary depending on a wide number of factors. Some of the things that might influence how much you’ll pay for care include:
- Your lawn size — If you have a bigger lawn, your lawn technicians will need to spend more time and use more products to maintain it. This means that you’ll pay more for services.
- Your lawn shape — If your property lines are unusual, you might pay more for lawn care services.
- Your property location — If you live in a very rural area, your technician will need to spend more time traveling to and from your property to service your lawn. This means that they’ll usually have to charge you extra to compensate.
- The services you need — If you need more services or treatments, you’ll pay more for your lawn care.
- How often you need service — If your lawn grows faster, you’ll need treatments more often. This increases the price of your lawn care.
These factors and more all work together to influence the price you’ll pay for lawn care. Companies like Lawn Doctor offer free quotes so you can get a more personalized idea of how much you can expect to pay. To avoid overpaying for your lawn care, be sure to get as many quotes as possible from competing companies before you choose a service provider.
Lawn Doctor Availability
Lawn Doctor is a national lawn service company. The services it offers are available in most parts of the United States. However, Lawn Doctor isn’t currently active in every state. If you live in any of the following states, you currently won’t be able to hire Lawn Doctor.
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
If you live in a state that’s currently not serviced by Lawn Doctor, consider another top lawn service company.
Lawn Doctor Reviews
Lawn Doctor is exceptionally proud of its customer reviews. The company claims that it’s the top-rated national lawn care provider — though this rating only considers reviews listed on the Trustpilot platform.
On December 6th, 2019, Marlene wrote:
I used to have weeds and everything else except grass. It was worth every penny [because] now I have beautiful green grass. Yes, a beautiful yard now that I’m not ashamed of. Every time I mow my grass, I appreciate the care Lawn Doctor has given and continues to give my yard. They are my yard guardian angel.
On December 6th, 2019, Shirley wrote:
Lawn Doctor keeps our lawn beautiful every year! The staff is friendly, personal like family. Thank you very much for your help Lawn Doctor!
What do customers love the most about Lawn Doctor? Many reviews feature these common compliments:
- Customer service — If their reviews are any indication, Lawn Doctor’s best asset is its friendly and courteous technicians. Customers consistently laud the team, calling Lawn Doctor technicians “nonintrusive,” “knowledgeable,” “polite,” and “courteous.”
- Effective services and treatments — Many Lawn Doctor reviews praise the quality of the company’s treatments and services. One reviewer claimed that his grass had “improved dramatically” after treatment by Lawn Doctor, while others called the services “thorough” and “worth the expense.”
The most common complaints included:
- Non-organic product offerings — Some customers found the company’s lack of organic lawn care products “disappointing.”
- Incorrect billing — A few Lawn Doctor customers have had problems with billing. One Trustpilot review claims that the company’s technicians attempted to charge him after he stopped his service and instructed them to stop coming. Another complained that the company added extra charges to his bill.
Is Lawn Doctor Worth It?
Here’s a run-down of the pros and cons of receiving treatment from Lawn Doctor.
|Custom lawn treatments personalized to the needs of your property. |
Largely positive customer reviews. Customers claim the services they offered were efficient, effective, and administered by polite and knowledgeable staff.
Treatment for pests available, as well as special pre-event pest control.
|Services not available in all states.|
No pricing information available on their website.
Some customers complain about incorrect billing services.
So, is Lawn Doctor right for you? The answer depends on your needs as a homeowner and where you live.
Overall, we believe that Lawn Doctor is a solid choice for most homeowners — though it doesn’t take our top spot. We liked the fact that Lawn Doctor offers customized plan options that homeowners can personalize to their needs. We also trust Lawn Doctor’s reviews, which are positive and consistently praise the effectiveness of their treatments and their courteous staff. However, Lawn Doctor isn’t available to every homeowner. If you live in an area where Lawn Doctor doesn’t currently offer service, consider another provider.
We rate Lawn Doctor 4.3 out of 5 stars. Be sure to claim your free quote from the staff before you select a lawn care company to tend to your grass.
Our Recommended Provider: TruGreen
Our top recommendation for lawn care is TruGreen. Their company offers a wide variety of plan choices that allow you to balance costs and lawn care. Like Lawn Doctor, they also offer custom lawn analyses to determine which treatments will most benefit your lawn.
They also offer a more comprehensive look at plan choices — and you can even schedule your service online. They even offer a comprehensive lawn education center on their website you can use to learn more about how to get the green lawn you need to keep your home looking great. Overall, we rate TruGreen 5.0 out of 5.0 stars for their large list of offerings and unique plan options.
With a number of plan tiers, positive customer reviews, and plenty of online information, TruGreen is our number one recommendation for homeowners looking for a professional lawn care provider.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Lawn Doctor a good lawn service?
Though Lawn Doctor isn’t our top recommended provider, it offers a solid selection of lawn care services. If you live in an area where they currently offer services, Lawn Doctor is a good choice for continuing lawn care.
How much does Lawn Doctor actually cost?
Lawn Doctor doesn’t advertise its specific prices online. This is because the price of lawn care can vary widely depending on where you live and the services you need. The best way to find out exactly how much you’ll pay is to get a free quote.
How much does lawn care cost per month?
The specific cost you’ll pay for lawn care depends on your needs. For general lawn mowing, you might pay as little as $25 a month. If you need more intensive services (like landscaping) you might pay upwards of $3,000 per service.
What does a Lawn Doctor lawn specialist do?
Your lawn specialist will perform a full analysis of your lawn’s health. This helps them determine which services and treatments you need to maintain a healthy, fresh lawn.