Dracaena is a genus of very attractive plants that are especially popular as houseplants. But when we bring plants into the house, sometimes our pets think we’ve laid out a salad bar for them. Dogs and cats don’t always know what’s good for them, so it’s important to have a good sense of how dangerous it is if they take a bite out your plants. Keep reading to learn more about dracaena pet poisoning.
Can Pets Eat Dracaena Plants?
The short answer is no. Dracaena is toxic to both cats and dogs. Or rather saponin, a chemical compound that is found in the plant, is toxic to them.
A dog eating dracaena leaves can result in vomiting (sometimes with and sometimes without blood), diarrhea, weakness, drooling, loss of appetite, and depression.
A cat eating dracaena will result in the same symptoms, possibly with the addition of dilated pupils.
What to Do if You See Your Cat or Dog Eating Dracaena
If you catch your dog or cat eating dracaena leaves, you should contact your veterinarian. The biggest concern with dracaena pet poisoning is the symptoms it induces. Vomiting, excessive drooling, and diarrhea can all quickly lead to severe dehydration, which is a serious problem if left untreated.
Fortunately, it’s easily treated by a vet, who can get your pet back on its feet quickly in a safe environment. If you’re ever concerned about your pet’s health, it’s better to be safe than sorry. And when it comes to dracaena pet poisoning, waiting it out can be very serious and even fatal.
Should I Get Rid of My Dracaena Plants?
If you’ve had a dracaena plant for a long time and your pet has never given it a second glance, it’s probably fine right where it is. If you’ve had problems, however, you should move it somewhere your pet can’t get to it, like a high shelf or a hanging basket. A room where your pet doesn’t go is also an option.