Expecting a baby? There are so many gender reveal ideas out there, many of them adorable, some of them dangerous, and some less than environmentally friendly. If you’re looking for sustainable gender reveal ideas you’ve come to the right place. Read on to learn how to make or source your own environmentally safe gender reveal in the form of gender reveal seed paper.
Eco-Friendly Gender Reveal Ideas
You may have seen a gender reveal party where the expectant couple reveals (or learns) the sex of their baby by opening a box filled with either pink or blue helium balloons, which are not eco-friendly. Instead, spew a pop of color into the air with biodegradable alternatives, such as natural flower petals, biodegradable confetti, and edible paint.
Since not everyone will be able to make it to your gender reveal party, here’s an idea that can be sent in the mail (snail mail that is) to friends far and dear. We’re talking about gender reveal seeds embedded in paper, made at home.
Gender Reveal Seed Paper
Paper makes up about a quarter of waste in landfills. A year’s worth of paper products requires 68 million trees. Factor in these amazing facts with the costs of logging in energy and water, the air pollutants and waste produced, and you’ll see that a single piece of paper is a precious resource. So what better way to honor that then by reusing paper? Gender reveal seed paper can be purchased or, to make the reveal really special, made by you.
The first ingredient you will need is previously used paper. The paper can be old grocery lists, some doodlings, the New York times crossword, or scrap stationery or cards. It doesn’t matter because the next step will be to shred the paper.
- Shred the paper in a shredder, then blend it with water in a blender or grinder until you get a smooth pulp.
- Add a teaspoon or so of the seeds of your choice to the pulp. Choose flowers of a particular color for your big reveal.
- Lobelia, hyacinths, and cornflowers are great options for blue
- Zinnias, tulips, and petunias come in beautiful shades of pink
- Even herb or veggie seeds will work as long as the seeds are small.
- Tomatoes, peppers, and carrots can come in shades of blue
- Beets, radishes, and kale can all be found in vivid shades of pink
- Stir the seeds in, don’t blend them.
- Pour the pulp mixture onto a window screen or strainer, or something similar to drain the excess water.
- Spread the pulp out on the window screen or if you used a strainer, pour the mixture out onto a paper towel and spread it out. Or, you can firm the seed mix into cookie cutters or other molds.
- Place your shapes on parchment paper or plastic wrap to dry.
- Allow the seed paper to dry for at least 24 hours.
How to Grow Gender Reveal Seeds
You can turn seed paper into cards for a shower, birth announcement, birthday party, baptism or, as we have suggested here, a sweet gender reveal.
- Select a sunny site.
- Place the seed paper on soil that is slightly tamped down but not hard-packed.
- Cover the seed paper with a sprinkling of soil — just enough to cover it.
- Water the seed paper and soil.
- Keep the seed paper consistently moist.
- The seed paper should germinate within 7-10 days.
Once the plants mature, they’ll reveal flowers or vegetables in your special color.