Are you looking for some great indoor plant hacks to keep your plants thriving and happy? There are many different houseplant tips and tricks that you can use, so let’s explore a few of them in this quick houseplant care guide.
How to Keep Houseplants Happy
Here are some wonderful hacks for indoor plants that you can use to make your life easier.
- Have you ever recycled your water? You can reuse water that has been used for cooking and give it to your houseplants. Any water that is used to boil vegetables, rice, pasta, or eggs can be used to water your plants. It is full of nutrients and will serve as a homemade fertilizer. Just be sure to let it cool down and don’t use it if you added salt, which is toxic to plants.
- Did you know that you can easily create a humid environment for your small plants or plants that you are trying to propagate by creating a mini greenhouse from common household materials? You can easily use either a jar with a lid, or even a clear plastic jug that has been cut in half, to place over your plants. This works especially well for propagating because the humidity helps the process out tremendously.
- Use coffee grounds for your plants. Instead of throwing away your coffee grounds, mix some into the soil of your plants or you can even throw it into a compost pile and use it for plants after the compost is ready.
- Use a wine bottle to slowly water your plants if you are away for a few days. Simply fill an empty wine bottle with water and insert the bottle neck into the soil. The water will slowly be released into the soil and you won’t have to worry about your plant while you are gone.
- Dust your leaves. If your plant leaves are dusty, they won’t be able to perform their normal functions. Simply rinse your leaves off in the shower or sink, or wipe any dusty leaves off with a moist sponge or paper towel. This is one of the best hacks for indoor plants.
- Use old mouse pads to set under your plants in order to help keep your floor or furniture in good shape. Of course, this will only work for smaller pots.
- Lastly, be sure to rotate your plant pots regularly. This will provide much more even growth for your plant and will distribute light in a much more balanced way for all the leaves. Simply give your pot a quarter turn each time you water.
There are no shortcuts in plant care, but all of these houseplant tips and tricks will go a long way in helping to keep your plants happy.