With thousands of named cultivars available, dahlias are an essential addition to many ornamental gardens. Providing growers with a profusion of blooms all season long, it is easy to understand why dahlias are so popular. In fact, these plants are available in nearly every color, with only a few notable exceptions. Though there is no true black dahlia flower, many varieties can offer growers that same highly sought after deep and dramatic color profile.
Black Dahlia Flowers
The most intensely colored dahlias range in color from deep purple to very dark burgundy. Though their shades can be quite eye-catching, black dahlia flower care is quite the same as for other cultivars and requires no special maintenance by growers to tend to color. Below, we have outlined some of our favorite varieties of dahlia with black leaves and/or dark blooms.
- Black Jack Dahlia – Black Jack is a large decorative black dahlia flower. Each bud first opens in a rich shade of dark red, which gradually lightens and fades as the flower ages. When deadheaded frequently, Black Jack dahlia plants will continue to bloom until the arrival of the first frost in the fall.
- Black Monarch Dahlia – With this variety of dahlia flower, black buds open to produce immense 10 inch (25 cm.) blooms. Similar to Black Jack in color, massive blooms create a stunning visual display. Black Monarch dahlias are also a welcome addition to cut flower arrangements, due to their long vase life.
- Karma Chocolate Dahlia – Karma Chocolate is often considered to be among the most popular types of dahlia with black leaves. These leaves, in tandem with their chocolate-burgundy flowers, are ideal for gardeners who wish to impart dramatic beauty into flower beds.
- Knight Hawk Dahlia – Yet another deep red variety of dahlia, Knight Hawk dahlia plants often appear to beautifully shift color in the garden, depending upon light conditions. With proper pinching and deadheading, tubers will produce healthy vigorous bushes covered in large blooms.
- Mystic Illusion Dahlia – Mystic Illusion is a variety of black leaf dahlia that can create stunning visual contrast in the garden. Though single yellow blooms are much smaller than other types, intense purple-black foliage can make an impressive statement in borders. Many of these smaller dahlia types are also ideal for growth in pots and in containers.