By Stan V. Griep
American Rose Society Consulting Master Rosarian – Rocky Mountain District
Memorial Day is a time to remember the many folks that we have walked this path of life with. What better way to memorialize a loved one or group of people than to plant a special rose bush in memorial to them in your very own rose bed or garden. Below you will find a list of memorial roses to plant.
Memorial Day Rose Bushes
The Remember Me series of rose selections all started as a project of the heart by Sue Casey of Portland, Oregon. This series of rose bushes are fine memorials to the many people that lost their lives in the terrible 911 attacks upon our Country. Not only do these roses make grand memorials to all of those people, they also bring the beauty and hope for a better tomorrow. The Remember Me series of memorial rose bushes are still being added to, but here are the ones in the series so far:
- Firefighter Rose – The first of the memorial rose series, this beautiful red hybrid tea rose is to honor the 343 firefighters who lost their lives on September 11, 2001.
- Soaring Spirits Rose – The second memorial rose bush of the series is a pretty cream pink and yellow striped climbing rose bush. This rose bush is to honor the more than 2,000 people who lost their lives on September 11, 2001 as they worked in the World Trade Center Towers.
- We Salute You Rose – The third rose bush of the memorial series is a beautiful orange/pink hybrid tea rose. This rose bush is to honor the 125 service members, employees and contract workers who died in the attack on the Pentagon on September 11, 2001.
- Forty Heroes Rose – Is a beautiful golden yellow rose bush named for the crew and passengers of United Flight 93 whom courageously battled the terrorist hijackers on September 11, 2001. Their efforts caused the plane to crash in rural Pennsylvania rather than it reaching its intended target in Washington D.C. that would have surely taken even more lives.
- The Finest Rose – is a beautiful white hybrid tea rose that honors the 23 NYPD Officers whom lost their lives in the line of duty on September 11, 2001. The Finest honors the entire NYPD as well.
- Patriot Dream Rose – is a beautiful salmon colored shrub rose that honors the 64 people who were the crew and passengers of American Airlines Flight 77 that crashed into the Pentagon on September 11, 2001. One of the family members of the flight crew suggested the name for this rose bush.
- Survivor Rose – is a beautiful deep pink rose. She honors the Survivors of the WTC and Pentagon. This rose was named by a group of survivors who escaped the collapse of the World Trade Center (WTC).
There will be a few more added to this series of rose bushes over the years ahead. These are all wonderful roses for any garden as well. Consider planting one to honor not only the people from the 911 attacks but also as a memorial rose to someone personally special to you as well. For more information on the Remember Me Series, check out their website here: www.remember-me-rose.org/