Ponds are popular water features that instill a sense of peace and natural beauty while helping to support a healthy ecosystem. However, without proper care and maintenance, even the simplest pond can become a smelly, brackish pit and a breeding ground for pests including hordes of mosquitoes.
A successful pond must be kept as clean and odor free as possible, and the best way to accomplish this is with mechanical aeration systems, such as pond bubbler aerators. A bubbler helps to support a healthy environment for aquatic life and keeps your water feature fresh and attractive. What is bubble aeration? Read on to learn about pond bubbler systems.
Pond Aeration Benefits
Pond aeration has many benefits that include the following:
- Improves water quality. Without some type of pond bubbler system, the water soon becomes mucky and oxygen deprived. In time, the entire pond will appear murky. A poorly aerated pond is also prime habitat for leeches.
- Reduces mosquito hatches. A bubbler in a pond keeps the water moving and serves as an effective means of mosquito control. Without still water, mosquito eggs can’t develop.
- Minimizes growth of algae. Algae can be very destructive when allowed to grow unchecked, competing for nutrients in the water and turning your backyard pond into an ugly swamp. A bubbler in a pond ensures that algae spores are distributed to deeper water where they are deprived of sunlight. Since the water is moving, algae has less time to get established.
- Reduces problems caused by hot weather. When summer weather is hot and the air is still, the upper part of the pond can become much warmer than deeper areas. If warmer water isn’t mixed with cooler water, oxygen levels drop in deeper parts of the pond, which causes the water to become stagnant. Conversely, cooler water may sink to the bottom if the weather suddenly turns cold.
- Reduces foul odors. A pond bubbler system ensures the water is mixed, which prevents it from becoming stagnant. Without a pond bubbler aerator, the pond may become unhealthy and develop a rotten egg smell.
- Creates healthy habitat for fish and other aquatic creatures. Without aeration, fish can’t breathe and may suffocate, and the entire ecosystem is compromised. A pond bubbler aerator pumps fresh oxygen into the water.