Image by Pattie
By Heather Rhoades
The musical sound of water is calming and watching goldfish dart about can be relaxing. Small backyard ponds allow you to enjoy these things without taking up large amounts of space in your garden. Read on to learn more.
How to Build a Small Pond
Below you will find the steps for how to build a small pond:
1. Choose a location – A miniature garden pond should be located where it can get 4-6 hours of sunlight. This will help to keep the pond healthy and clean. Avoid placing the pond where runoff from rain will go into it. This may wash debris in, and a miniature pond simply will not be able to function correctly with too much foreign debris in it.
2. Decide how big your pond will be – When building small ponds, the ponds will need to be at least 2 feet deep. How wide it will be depends on the space you have in your garden. At a minimum, a miniature pond should be 3 feet across, but 4 feet or more would be better.
3. Dig your pond – If you plan on keeping water plants in your miniature pond, dig down 1 foot and then start digging down the rest of the way 1 foot away from the edge of the pond. This will create a shelf that you can place water plants on.
4. Line the pond – You can line small backyard ponds with any thick, pliable, waterproof plastic. You can buy pond liners at a hardware store or you can check your local farm supply stores for this material. Lay the liner in the hole and push it up against the sides of the hole. Try not to fold the liner, if possible.
5. Put a filter or fountain in if you desire – If you would like a fountain or filter, position this in the miniature garden pond now. They are not necessary unless you plan on having fish.
6. Fill with water – Fill the pond with water and turn on the filter or fountain, if you are using it. Allow the pond to sit for 1 week before adding fish or plants. This will allow the chlorine in the water to evaporate.
7. Add the plants and fish – You want to add plants to your pond as these will help keep the pond clean and pretty. Fish are also a nice addition to small backyard ponds. You can use goldfish from your local pet store. The fish will grow to fit the size of the pond very quickly.
8. Enjoy! – Sit back and enjoy your miniature garden pond.
Now that you know how to build a small pond, you can add one of these lovely features to your own backyard.