Flowers for men? Why not? Everybody loves receiving flowers and men are no exception. If you feel like sending him flowers to express friendship, love, appreciation or respect, go for it! Gone are the days when it seemed unusual for a guy to receive a big, beautiful bouquet. Today, giving flowers to men is perfectly acceptable.
If you’re wondering about choosing flowers that guys like, the following suggestions for “manly” types of flowers may help.
Tips on Giving Flowers to Men
Men enjoy receiving flowers, but stereotypical ideas about certain colors are still prevalent in today’s culture. Your guy friend may not be crazy about pastel shades such as pink, lavender, minty green or pale yellow. As a general rule, it’s better to send “manly” types of flowers in purple, maroon, deep blue, or other rich, bold colors.
Similarly, guys tend to like robust flowers with a solid, strong structure. For example, you may want to go easy on dainty, frilly flowers like stephanotis or baby’s breath. If a bouquet needs a filler, something natural like leaves or grass balances out the bold blooms.
Most men aren’t crazy about sweet-scented flowers, but a flower with a spicy scent may be just the ticket. For example, try purple or dark red carnations with a clove-like aroma. Instead of feminine crystal vases, look for a solid, natural container constructed of metal or wood.
If humor is appropriate for the event, he may get a kick out of a container that reflects his particular interest; for instance, a beer stein or coffee cup, or something fun like a container shaped like a golf bag or fishing creel. Always consider the occasion. Bold colors are great for happy events like birthdays, Father’s Day or other celebrations, but more muted colors are appropriate for a funeral or other sad occasion.
Masculine Flowers that Guys Like
- Anthurium: The tropical-like anthurium plant creates a real splash with vibrant red flowers and bright green foliage.
- Tulips: Most guys like big tulips in purple, red, gold, or other bold, solid colors.
- Sunflowers: Who can resist a bouquet of big, bold, cheery sunflowers?
- Mums: Chrysanthemums, thought to symbolize friendship, are available in a variety of shapes and vibrant colors.
- Roses: Old-fashioned roses in shades of maroon or deep red are bound to make an impression, but are most appropriate for a romantic relationship.
- Bird of paradise: If you’re looking for a unique, splashy flower, bird of paradise will definitely get his attention.