Themed gardens are a lot of fun. They can be exciting for kids, but there’s nothing to say grownups can’t enjoy them just as much. They make for a great talking point, as well as a fantastic challenge to the intrepid gardener: what can you find that fits your theme? How creative can you get? One interesting option is a sci-fi or outer space theme. Keep reading to learn more about cosmic garden plants and creating an outer space garden.
How to Create an Outer Space Garden Theme
When creating an outer space garden, there are two main directions you can go. One is to pick plants whose names are sci-fi and outer space related. The other is to choose plants that look like they belong on an alien planet. If you have enough room, of course, you can do both.
It’s actually remarkably easy to find plants with good names that will fit right into this theme. This is because certain plants hybridize very well, and each new hybrid gets a name of its own. Some plants with lots of sci-fi themed names include:
- Hostas (Super Nova, Galaxy, Voyager, Gamma Ray, Lunar Eclipse)
- Daylilies (Andromeda, Asteroid, Black Hole, Big Dipper, Cloaking Device)
- Coleus (Vulcan, Darth Vader, Solar Flare, Saturn’s Rings)
Lots of other plants fit the bill too, such as these:
- Rocket plant
- Star cactus
- Jupiter’s beard
- Venus fly trap
- Golden star
- Star grass
Maybe you want your outer space garden designs to be more visual. Some cosmic garden plants look like they came straight out of outer space and have an otherworldly feel to them.
- Many carnivorous plants sure do, having unusual looking shapes or protrusions.
- Horsetail puts up bright green, striped stalks that could easily grow on a different planet.
- Oriental poppies produce seed pods that look like flying saucers once the flowers have passed.
- Even vegetables can have UFO appeal. Try adding some scallop squash or UFO pumpkin plants to the garden, both of which produce flying saucer shaped fruit.
Do a little research online and you will find a number of suitable plants for an outer space garden design.