Handmade garden gifts are a unique, special way to show how much you care. These gifts from the garden make perfect presents for a hostess, close friend, or family member. Homegrown gifts are appropriate for the holidays, birthdays, or any day a loved one benefits from feeling special.
There are a number of easy DIY garden gifts you can create using herbs, veggies, and flowers already in your garden.
Edible Gifts from Garden Produce
Naturally, the best time to make gifts from garden produce is during the growing season. You can turn that abundance of seasonal fruits, vegetables, and herbs into a wealth of garden gifts. Try some of these inspirational ideas for creating your own edible homegrown gifts:
- Fruit jam and jelly – Who doesn’t enjoy real fruit jam? Make a small gift basket using half pints of strawberry, apple, raspberry, or pepper jelly. Take this gift basket over the top by including a loaf of homemade bread.
- Homemade fruit candy – From jelly squares to fruit leather, the natural sugars found in many types of homegrown fruit is a healthier alternative than store bought sweets. Buy a few decorative tins at the local dollar store and you’ve got the perfect DIY garden gift for recipients of any age.
- Dried herbs and seasoned salts – Need the perfect housewarming or hostess gift for a beloved culinary expert? Fill a mixing bowl with spice jars of your own dried herbs and seasoned salt made from dehydrated red peppers, onions, and garlic. Round out the basket with beautiful dish towels or oven mitts.
- Baked goods – Turn that mountain of zucchini, pumpkins, or carrots into breads, cookies, and cakes. These handmade garden gifts can be baked from prepared, frozen produce for that fresh out of the oven flavor. Add a homemade gift tag and seasonal bow.
- Pickles – From refrigerator dills to homemade giardiniera, create edible DIY garden gifts with a tangy ensemble of homemade pickled veggies. Add a jar of pickled watermelon rinds to sweeten the collection.
- Fresh herbs – Get kudos from that finicky home cook on your gift list with a basket or bouquet of live herbs. Grown from root cuttings taken before frost strikes in the fall, these gifts from the garden are ready just in time for the holiday gift-giving season.
Health and Beauty DIY Garden Gifts
Edibles aren’t the only garden gifts recipients enjoy. Try crafting these gifts from the garden for your favorite health and beauty conscious loved ones:
- Essential oils
- Handmade soap
- Herbal face mask
- Herb-scented candles
- Lotion bars
- Rose water
- Salt-based scrub
- Sugar scrub
Decorative Homegrown Gifts
Here are a few additional ways to use backyard supplies to craft gifts from the garden:
- Ornaments – Make a corn stalk angel, decorate a pinecone, or insert a bit of pine bough into a clear, glass ornament.
- Leaf print apron – Use fabric paint and leaves to stamp an artistic design on plain muslin, then cut and sew an apron or garden smock.