It’s easy to find lists of plants that can injure dogs. But if you happen to have a pet pig or if you raise pigs as livestock, don’t assume that the same list applies. What is poisonous to pigs? Plants harmful to pigs don’t always kill them. Read on for a list of plants that are toxic for pigs and those that will make pigs sick.
What is Poisonous to Pigs?
The list of plants harmful to pigs is a long one. Many plants that are toxic for pigs kill them quickly. They are so very poisonous to porkers that eating one leaf will kill them. Many will look similar to poisonous plant lists for humans like:
Others are common ornamentals you probably grow in your flower garden such as camellia, lantana and flax.
Other Plants That are Toxic for Pigs
Some plants are harmful to pigs but won’t kill them. When pigs eat these plants, they become sick but don’t usually die. These plants usually result in nausea or diarrhea. These range from small to tall, from sweet peas to redwood trees, eucalyptus and birches. Aloe vera makes the list and so does hyacinth and hydrangea.
Other bulb plants, flowers and berries that will make them sick include:
Other plants harmful to pigs are neither poisonous nor nauseating to the animals, but they are still plants pigs can’t eat since they can cause harm.
Some plants, like parsley, cause photosensitivity. Others, like begonias, calla lilies and philodendron, cause swelling of the mouth. Acorns can cause miscarriages in sows. If pigs eat stone fruits from the orchard, the pits can lodge in the small intestine. Similarly, if pigs chow down on unshelled walnuts, pieces of cracked shells can pierce the pharynx of the animal.
Pigs that are kept as livestock usually avoid eating poisonous forage plants. These plants tend to taste bitter, so pigs only eat them as a last resort if all other forage plants are eaten or destroyed.